Decision Day

 

Our Place in the Universe: the Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom “One of my favorites is using LEGO bricks to construct narrative scenes and then importing photographs of the creations into a program such as Microsoft Publisher to create a graphic novel or into iMovie to be combined with narrations over the scenes. Scenes can even be constructed and shared directly with the class. The really special thing about generating an e-book, however, is that it can be cataloged in the school library's online public-access catalog, making each student a searchable author.” This teacher uses what resources they have to try and teach students in new and alluring way to get them interested in history. In Media Studies if I chose making a movie as my form of media I would have a similar experience, but it was more difficult to me than it was for these younger kids. Premiere Pro was really confusing to me and I could not even figure out how to upload more than 2 videos onto the application which was slightly stressful. Although I’ve always had a connection with the film universe and always loved the idea of being involved in film, my connection came to me through the form of writing; since I wanted to be  screen writer.

 

 

In Design was still confusing to me, but I already could understand some of the basics, unlike my experience with Premiere Pro. A statement made in the article According to Survival of the Fittest: Four Editors on the Future of Literary Magazines “Pretty much every design/format and distribution decision we have made is driven by our desire to reach people who like to read but are not attuned to the lit mag universe.” This really interested me and made me want to try and create magazines or cover pages to see what I could do to try and reach other people with my work.

 

 

For my media choice, I have chosen to select the magazine. According to Survival of the Fittest: Four Editors on the Future of Literary Magazines “The literary magazine exists for a specialized audience, mainly writers who are interested and eager to read what is being written right now, who are keenly involved in honing their own writing, who want to support small publishing and find new inspirations.” When I observed magazines in class I found myself actually becoming interested in what I was seeing: the colors, lighting, background, and text fonts were all really intriguing to me and I would love to make something like that myself. I also would like to begin to understand the world of magazines since I feel that I already have a pretty spot on understanding of the movie world; and it would be nice to have a whole new category of media that I understand and enjoy. I’m always open to trying and learning new things; but my experience with In Design was overall far easier for me to understand than my experience with Premier Pro; which I think will help significantly when I try and make my final project.

Comments